Are you experiencing thinning or falling hair? Is your scalp itching? Are you worried about baldness? If yes, then you might want to take note of these common causes of hair fall.
Hair loss is a very common problem affecting both men and women. Hair loss is caused by various reasons such as genetics, hormonal changes, stress, illness, medications, etc. There are several treatments available for hair loss. Some of them include hair transplantation, laser therapy, medication, etc.
Hair falling causes
The most common cause of hair loss is genetic. It can be inherited from one’s parents. This type of hair loss is also called alopecia. The other causes of hair loss include:
• Stress – When we get stressed out, our body produces more cortisol which leads to hair loss.
• Medications – Certain drugs like chemotherapy, birth control pills, antidepressants, anti-seizure medicines, etc., may lead to hair loss.
• Illnesses – Anemia, thyroid disorders, diabetes, lupus, psoriasis, etc., can result in hair loss.
• Hormonal Changes – Women experience hair loss during pregnancy and after childbirth. Men also suffer from this condition.
• Diet – A poor diet can lead to hair loss. People who eat oily food tend to have greasy hair.
• Smoking – Cigarette smoking affects blood circulation and makes it difficult for the body to produce enough hormones.
• Chemicals – Exposure to chemicals such as pesticides, herbicides, solvents, etc., can damage the hair follicles.
• Infections – Bacterial infections, fungal infections, viral infections, etc., can cause hair loss.
• Genetics – Albinism, hypothyroidism, androgenetic alopecia, and trichotillomania are some of the rare causes of hair loss.
• Environmental factors – Extreme heat, cold, sunburn, etc., can affect the hair growth cycle.
Hair falling type
There are two types of hair loss: temporary and permanent. Temporary hair loss occurs when there is an imbalance between the production of new hair cells and shedding of old ones. Permanent hair loss happens due to genetic or medical conditions.
Temporary hair loss
This type of hair loss occurs because of a sudden change in hormone levels. This usually happens during puberty or pregnancy. It is also known as hair shedding.
Permanent hair loss
This type of hair loss occurs due to a number of reasons including hereditary, environmental factors, and certain diseases. These are:
• Androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness)
• Telogen effluvium
There are some natural remedies that can help treat hair loss. These include using coconut oil, aloe vera gel, apple cider vinegar, etc. You can also use the following home remedies to get rid of hair loss:
1) Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has been used since ancient times to cure different health problems. It helps in treating dandruff, dry skin, and hair loss. To apply it on your hair, mix equal amounts of coconut oil with honey and massage it into your scalp. Leave it overnight and wash off next morning. This will give you soft, shiny, and healthy hair.
2) Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel contains vitamins A and C which have anti-inflammatory properties. The gel works best when applied directly onto the affected area. Massage the gel gently into your scalp and leave it overnight. Wash off next morning. This remedy will not only prevent further hair loss but also promote growth of new hair.
3) Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent source of vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 plays a vital role in maintaining normal hair growth. Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with two tablespoons of water. Apply this mixture on your scalp and leave it for half an hour before washing off. This will reduce inflammation and stimulate blood circulation in the scalp.
4) Onion Juice
Onion juice is another effective treatment for hair loss. Take a slice of onion and cut it into small pieces. Add few drops of lemon juice to make it more potent. Now add salt and pepper to taste. Make sure that the mixture does not contain any sugar. Once done, strain out the liquid from the onions. After straining, apply this solution on your scalp. Let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing off. Repeat this process twice a week.
5) Egg Whites
Egg whites are rich in protein and other nutrients that are essential for hair growth. They also contain zinc, iron, copper, and selenium. Soak five egg white shells in warm water for 15 minutes. Strain out the water and keep the remaining eggs white. Dip each egg white in olive oil and place it on your scalp. Cover it with plastic wrap and let it stay overnight. Rinse off next morning. This method is especially helpful if you suffer from dandruff.
6) Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is yet another effective remedy for hair loss. Squeeze the juice of three lemons into a bowl. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and rosemary leaves. Mix well and then apply it to your scalp. Leave it for 20 minutes and rinse off. This remedy will improve blood circulation in the scalp and thus promotes hair growth.